Fertility treatments for transmen make the dream of fatherhood come true
Fertility Specialists of Texas proudly supports the LGBT community by offering comprehensive and compassionate transgender fertility care, including fertility treatments for transmen. You might feel overwhelmed when you think about all the family-building options, but don’t worry. Our LGBT fertility center can help you create the best treatment plan for your needs and goals so that you can have a healthy baby.
One option for transgender fertility care is fertility preservation
You may want to consider freezing eggs or embryos before starting hormone replacement therapy (HRT). This is also an option if you’re just starting to transition. Research shows that taking testosterone makes ovulation and menstruation stop.
In many cases, transmen have been able to conceive using their own eggs after pausing testosterone therapy. However, each person is different, so fertility preservation can provide peace of mind for future family building.
Transmen can pursue either egg freezing or embryo freezing at our LGBT fertility center.
- Egg freezing involves taking injectable fertility medications to stimulate egg production and having an outpatient egg retrieval. Embryologists then flash-freeze the eggs.
- Embryo freezing is similar to egg freezing, but instead of freezing the eggs, the lab team fertilizes them with sperm. They then freeze and store the resulting embryos.
We typically recommend egg freezing for patients who haven’t yet found the person they’d like to have children with. In contrast, embryo freezing is great for couples who would like to have children together as well as for those using a sperm donor.
There are many other fertility treatments for transmen
When you first visit our clinic, your doctor will take your medical history and order some basic fertility testing. They will also ask about your family-building goals and budget. Using this information, your doctor will design your customized treatment plan.
- Transmen who have a healthy uterus and a good egg supply can conceive using intrauterine insemination (IUI) with sperm from their partner or a donor.
- If a transman does not want to be pregnant, he can provide his eggs for use during an in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle with his cisgender female partner or a gestational surrogate.
- Transmen can also conceive with a cisgender male partner by using IVF with donor eggs.
These fertility treatments for transmen give you options and empower you to select the path to parenthood that works best for you. If your journey involves donor eggs or gestational surrogacy, we can help you find reputable agencies or programs, such as our in-house egg bank, to help make parenthood possible.
If you’d like to learn more about fertility treatments for transmen, contact our LGBT fertility center. We look forward to providing you with world-class transgender fertility care.